4.24.2006

"You're going to a HOOKER bar?!"

"No no no. A HOOKAH bar."

What kind of girl do you think I am?!

The type of girl that - instead of frequenting hooker bars - would go some place to smoke up with a bunch of college kids and watch a half-nekkid girl dance to funky music?

Why yes, I AM that type of girl!

Besides, aren't "hooker bars" actually called "hotel bars located around convention centers" in polite society?

Sheesh.

A couple weeks ago, I wrangled my bestest bud and fellow bellydancers, Trelina, and her co-worker, Kristina, into going to a hookah bar to see a tribal-style bellydancer perform.

I'm not sure what I was expecting for my first hookah bar, exactly. I assumed this picture was of the "cool" seating, and there would be a bar on the opposite wall and assorted tables and chairs. Makes sense, since the place is called a hookah bar, so I was expecting an actual BAR.

Not so much.

The place was a hole in the wall. Really. See the long bench and few tables? That is about all there is, minus 2 small tables with wooden folding chairs on the opposite side. The whole place was about 40 feet long by about 15 feet wide. Hmm.

They had a small menu with a few beer and wine selections, but it was great food. The atmosphere was totally laid back and the wait staff was attentive and helpful. That was good.

The bellydancer was not-so-good. Being the whole reason I wanted to go, I was kinda disappointed. She was rather unprofessional - she came in and plunked down by her friends and smoked and talked and didn't start her show until HALF AN HOUR after the posted start time... (and that was only after I politely asked the waitress WHEN THE FUCK she was going to start her show). But she was a young college-age girl. Whaddayagonnado? Her dancing was ok as well. Good technique, but it was a little boring. She had no props - no zils, no veil, no sword... nothing to make anyone say "wow" besides horny college kids, which the place was full of. I'm sure she was an erotic goth-ish fantasy to them.

All that being said... smoking a hookah is pretty fucking cool.

The shisha (tobacco flavored with fruit molasses) was sweet and smooth and I even got a little buzz.

Of course, I'm not a smoker, so that may be why.

I found out there is another hookah bar that is much closer to my house (the place above was an hour away), and they have bellydancers, too. Woot!

I think I may have to buy a hookah to have at home, just so I can look as cool as this.

Yeah, baby.

Anyone know where I can get 3 pairs of those lovely lavender tasseled elf slippers so that I may look glam whilst puffing my pipe?

5 comments:

Attila the Mom said...

Ok, I'm dying to know. What the heck is a zil?

Love your blog!

Cinnamon said...

I must say, now I so totally want to go to a hoohka bar! Awesome idea - thanks Misha!

Nikki said...

Misha, I would love to say that I would like to go to a hookah bar but I'd be afraid that someone would think I'm ... gay. And well, I'm...not. This is not to say or even imply that you are gay, or bisexual or tri-sexual (as in try anything) but...

Damn, what's this in my throat? Oh, it's my foot. MY BAD.

LOL - just kidding

Sounds like you had fun - live it up girl.

Lena said...

No sword?? How can you properly be Jasmin without a sword? And a monkey.

Sven said...

If I bought a hooka to smoke at home I'm afraid I'd look like this.