5.22.2006

I Can't Get No... Job Satisfaction

I apologize for the light posting the last couple of weeks - I've had quite a few deadlines at work. One big one is met, one keeps changing, and a few other urgent ones pop up in between. Joy.

For those of you who don't know, I am a technical writer. (Yes, I know you're choking in your caffeinated beverage right now - I know it' a scary thought to know that I write for a paycheck after reading my blog.) I write software manuals , and yes my docs are like the ones you get with a new computer or PC component/device (see, I broke out the technical jargon on you), but you, the end-user, would never see my technical prose. It's for corporate customers only. But I would LOVE to write for a gaming company. How cool would it be to write:

In 2E 864, the Redguards of Hammerfell rose in rebellion against the Imperial administration of Provincial Governor Amiel Richton. The Restless League, led by Cyrus and Iszara -- brother-and-sister agents of the province's hereditary rulers -- destroyed the Imperial fleet in Stros M'Kai harbor and routed the Legion garrison. With Admiral Richton dead, and Stros M'Kai in rebel hands, Emperor Tiber Septim was forced to sue for peace on terms favorable to Hammerfell. (from the Codex of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion)

as opposed to:

This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference when the equipment is operated in a commercial environment. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instruction manual, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. Operation of this equipment in a residential area is likely to cause harmful interference in which case the user will be required to correct the interference at his own expense. (From the installation document I am currently working on.)


(Stop drooling and stabbing yourself in the eyeballs from boredom... I'm done.)

If I worked for a gaming company, I could live in a fantasy world LEGITIMATELY instead of it being considered SCREWING OFF. Of course, no ones knows I screw off as much as I do because all my work is correct and done on time. But still...

So excuse me while I wipe up the drool from my keyboard and get back to formatting.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5 comments:

Nikki said...

My job, while not so well paying, is just as boring sometimes. Take my word for it, it's better to be well paid and bored. ;P

Lena said...

Thanks for the explanation - love the comparison! Too funny. I'm a little alarmed at how well you wrote the fantasy gaming. ;)

Misha said...

Nikki- yes it pays well, and my co-workers are highly entertaining, so I'm not going to climb a clock tower and thin out the neighborhood any time soon. But one day, my pretties... ;)

Lena - I copied and pasted the stuff from Oblivion from their website. I'm not that original. ;)

Charlie said...

How come all of the "manuals" I get with software are almost as long as 1 page and written in very bad Portuguese? Huh?

Misha said...

Me no speaky English, Pooper.