5.23.2006

Just call me Melly

Inspired by Trouble's post on nicknames, here is the history of nicknames in my life:

My family referred to me by my normal name for most of my life. But sometimes my family called me Shelly (I seem to remember a Squid and a Squirrel being thrown into the mix by my dad every once in a while, too). In fact, in fourth grade, I moved to Florida (the first of three moves there) and there was already a girl in my class with my normal name, so my name became Shelly that year. It took me a while to get used to it.

It also morphed into several variations there of. My grandmother came up with Shelly Bean. That is my fave, just because it's cute.

Other nicknames over the years:
Mitch (yuck)
Misha (ta-dah!)
Jake (based of my former last name)

My sister and I had fun coming up with nicknames for each other.

To make fun of each other without make-up:

Me: John Cougar Mellencamp (due to shoulder length cut with a bad perm thrown on top in 7th grade)
Her: Dee Snider or Angus Young


But my favorite all time nicknames are based off the Little Rascals:

Me: Stanky (I had some stinky stinky feet when I was 13-14, probably because I never wore socks with my Keds.)

What was hers?

Fuckwheat.

1 comment:

Virenda said...

LMAO the 'Little Rascal' nicknames are the BEST.


I've had a few nicknames but pretty much Vi has always been mine. I don't really like it, I prefer V but sometimes we don't get to pick the name. :0)

So we can start calling you Stanky? LOL.